Friday, August 28, 2015

Schlitz Inspired Nails

Hey, everyone!

I've been so busy this week, I completely forgot to write a post for yesterday! So here it is today, woops. This nail art was inspired by one of the MANY things my mom has found for me in her thrifting adventures - a Schlitz beer stein! Keep reading to find out more!


Although I've never personally had Schlitz beer ("The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous!"), I do like beer. And I want to be a brewer someday, if you didn't know that already. So any time my mom finds something uniquely beer-related, she usually either tells me about it or gets it for me! It also helps that I love most things retro and antique, especially retro color schemes. 


Before I sat down to create this mani, I purchased some flat microwave covers from the Dollar Tree so that I could have a nice surface to make stamping decals on. I also printed out some nail templates from Black Cat Nails and taped them on the back of one of the plastic squares. It. Works. GREAT! A few days before I painted my nails, I painted a few of the "nails" with Wet n Wild Clear, which I find works fantastically for stamping decals. When it was dry, I used hehe stamping plate 005 and China Glaze Mahogany Magic to stamp an argyle/plaid pattern. Then I VERY carefully filled in the design with China Glaze For Audrey and OPI Where Did Suzi's Man-Go?. Once dry, I sealed it all with a generous amount of Wet n Wild Clear and let them dry completely.


When I finally did paint my nails, I started with two coats of OPI Don't Pretzel My Buttons on my index, middle, and ring fingers, and two coats of Where Did Suzi's Man-Go? on the other two nails. While the index and ring fingers were still tacky, but not wet, I applied my stamping decals. On my middle finger I stamped some (what are supposed to be) books using the same colors I used for the decal with Messy Mansion MM24. I cleaned up around the edges and sealed everything with topcoat!


Materials Used
Wet n Wild Clear
OPI Don't Pretzel My Buttons
OPI Where Did Suzi's Man-Go?
China Glaze Mahogany Magic
China Glaze For Audrey
Hehe 005
Messy Mansion MM24

And above you can see the actual mug that inspired this mani! I actually use it to store cotton balls on my desk so 1) they're easy to grab when I'm doing my nails, and 2) cuz it kinda looks like beer foam! I'm really happy with how these turned out, and I'm really loving how much fun stamping decals are to make! Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment