Thursday, February 26, 2015

Multichrome Beetles!

Hey, everyone!

I've been wanting to give this design a try for a while now and I'm so glad I finally did it! Keep reading for more info!


I first saw the idea for these cute little beetles on a blog called Seize the Nail, which I really love! Then I thought "How can I make these even cooler?" The answer to that question, when it comes to nails, is usually either "Multichrome polish!" or "Holographic polish!" This time I ended up goint with the multichrome option.


I started by painting two coats of OPI My Vampire is Buff on all of my nails. Then I masked off the cuticles on my thumb, middle, and pinky fingers using my liquid latex. Next I used a makeup sponge to apply a gradient of MViB and OPI Mermaid's Tears to those three fingers. After that I applied a layer of topcoat to smooth out the gradient.


After the layer of topcoat was dry, I started painting the shape of each beetle using ILNP Birefringence and Polish Me Silly Dynamite. Then I outlined each beetle and added legs and details using Wet n Wild Black Creme. I'm curious, has the formula of Black Creme changed lately? I just started using a new bottle and it's not nearly as opaque as my old bottle was. Anyone else have this experience? Weird...


Here's a slightly different angle so you can sorta see how the polish colors change with the lighting. Anyway, after I finished the beetles, I used these iridescent rhinestones that I ordered from Born Pretty Store last fall. I put some of these on my beetles as well as my other nails. I learned my lesson last time, and made sure to apply a topcoat over them so they keep their pretty iridescent shine!


Above you can see that I even painted my right hand the same way! Although the beetles turned out a bit bigger, I was pretty impressed with my non-dominant hand skills! Below you can see a quick video of these pretties outside in the sunlight, showing off the color shift of the multichrome polishes. 


Materials Used
OPI My Vampire is Buff
OPI Mermaid's Tears
Wet n Wild Black Creme
ILNP Birefringence
Polish Me Silly Dynamite
Iridescent rhinestones from BPS
Liquid latex

So what do you think of these? Are they too creepy, or totally cool? Honestly I'm in love with them - it's like I have a couple new little friends! Also I'm really happy to be doing freehand nail art again, so expect more to come! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment