Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Abstract Abalone Nails

Hey, everyone!

I've been seeing a lot of gorgeous nail art lately using the drip marble technique. I first saw this cool trick on the YouTube channel My Simple Little Pleasures (created by the talented Colette) a while ago, and I finally thought of a great idea with which to use it! So keep on reading for all the details!


Back when I first saw the funky swirly patterns that drip marble makes (check out Colette's tutorial I linked above if you're interested), it reminded me of the patterns on abalone shells. Have you noticed yet that I have a thing for abalone? Because I definitely do! There's just something about the gorgeous natural colors and patterns that I absolutely adore! So I try to put it on my nails pretty often!


Like the tutorial, I ended up making decals using the drip marble method, so I created them the day before I actually wanted to use them, giving them ample time to dry completely. I basically did exactly what Colette did in her videos. I used the colors Wet n Wild Black Creme, Sally Hansen Cobalt Chrome, Sally Hansen Minted Metal, and Sally Hansen Plume. I applied them to my nails after applying a clear base coat first, and while it was still tacky I stuck the decals onto my nails. Then I trimmed and cleaned up the excess around the edges and sealed with topcoat. Ta-da!


As much as I really like the way this turned out, it's not as abalone-like as I'd like. I think one issue was the Sally Hansen Color Foils that I used. They dry incredibly fast, so that after about 3 seconds, they wouldn't really "drip" anymore. But I guess that's just something to keep in mind for next time - use slow-drying polishes!


Materials Used
Wet n Wild Black Creme
Sally Hansen Cobalt Chrome
Sally Hansen Minted Metal
Sally Hansen Plume

So what do you think about this newer method? Got any tips or tricks for a better result? Let me know below! And thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment