Thursday, October 30, 2014

Ghoulish Halloween Water Spotting

Hey, everyone!

I have one last Halloween design to share with you before I post about my actual Halloween costume and nails! Keep reading to learn more!


 I've only done water spotted nails once before (check them out on my tumblr), and it was kind of a pain. And this time was no different... but once I got into the rhythm of it. I really enjoyed doing it!


I reeeeeeally love the way these turned out! While it may have taken about 4 hours or so, it was a really relaxing little project - especially since the two days previous had been absolute headaches for me to deal with. I started with a base of Maybelline Bare Escape (which might be my new favorite grey polish) and then proceeded to use the water spotting technique with Finger Paints Meet Me at the Met (which was pretty finicky), Icing Text Me Later, Sinful Colors Happy Ending, and China Glaze Cross Iron 360.


I protected my cuticles with a thick layer of Elmer's glue, but next time I think I'll use tape for easier cleanup! I've heard that some ladies have had luck with the glue method when doing water marbling, but I think with water spotting your skin's more exposed to the water, making the glue really goopy. After waiting for it to dry again, though, I was able to peel quite a bit of the mess off!


Also, I discovered that the green polish (Happy Ending) is UV reactive, so it gave a really cool eerie glow under my black light flashlight! This picture was taken with my camera set to -1.7 EV.


And this is my light box setup in the bathroom for the black light pictures. It's really really dark in my bathroom because there's no windows, so it's perfect for pictures like this!

Materials Used
Maybelline Bare Escape
Finger Paints Meet Me at the Met
Icing Text Me Later
Sinful Colors Happy Ending
China Glaze Cross Iron 360
A cup of room temperature, unfiltered water
A small spray bottle of rubbing alcohol
Black light flashlight

What do you guys think of this look? Let me know below! Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment