Saturday, February 11, 2017

Call of Cthulhu

Hey, everyone!

Lately I have been reading a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's short stories. I have a huge bound collection of his works (although it's not anywhere near his complete works), and I finally got around to reading it. So, it inspired me to create some nice creepy nail art! Keep reading for all the details!


H.P. Lovecraft truly was a master of horror. He combined space and the occult in such a way that it is truly terrifying to imagine, especially when such terrors were not explicitly stated but merely hinted at. Honestly, I haven't even finished the collection I have yet because I was starting to have pretty eerie nightmarish dreams after reading so much of his stuff, but I got through about 400 pages of it! My favorite stories that I have read thus far are absolutely At the Mountains of Madness (which might be getting a film adaptation directed by Guillermo del Toro!), The Dunwich Horror, The Thing on the Doorstep, and of course, The Call of Cthulhu.


Since the creature/monster/demigod Cthulhu is what most people associate with H.P. Lovecraft, I decided to try my best to recreate it on my nails! In The Call of Cthulhu, Cthulhu is described as "A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind." Pretty terrifying, right? I wasn't sure that I could fit all of that on one nail, so I went for just the head and wings instead!


I started with a base of A England St. George on all of my nails, a great color for something associated with deep space and the deep ocean. On my index, ring, and pinky fingers, I stamped some tentacles using Bundle Monster plate BM-506 and Sinful Colors Olympia. Isn't is such a great color for Cthulhu?! I then started painting the general shape of the creature on my middle finger, starting with the bulbous head and tentacles and then the wings. I filled it in using Olympia, then added some details using China Glaze Westside Warrior. I then added some small red rhinestones for evil eyes, then used Olympia again to add some angry brows and lids. On my thumb I painted the name, also using Olympia. After all of that, I carefully applied topcoat to all of my nails.


Materials Used
A England St. George
Sinful Colors Olympia
China Glaze Westside Warrior
Stamping plate BM-506
Red rhinestones

Did I do this horrifying creature justice? I absolutely loved having these on my nails! They made me feel so... powerful! MUAHAHA! Oh, just kidding. But tell me what YOU think of them! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment